These are the six sites in Minnesota administered by the United States National Park Service (NPS.)
- Grand Portage National Monument, Grand Portage, Google map, National Park Service website
- Mississippi National River and Recreation Areas, 72 miles of riverfront stretching from Dayton, north of the Twin Cities, to the Saint Croix River, Visitor Center in Saint Paul Science Museum, Google map, NPS website
- North Country National Scenic Trail (parts in Minnesota,) the Minnesota portion goes north from the Wisconsin border near Duluth along the North Shore (The Superior Hiking Trail) then turns west and goes to the Dakotas, Google map, NPS website
- Pipestone National Monument, Pipestone, Google map, NPS website
- Saint Croix National Scenic Riverway (with Wisconsin,) Visitor Center in Saint Croix Falls, WI, Google map, NPS website
- Voyageurs National Park, International Falls, Google map, NPS website
Click here for a complete list of United States National Park Service sites.
More info from MNTrips
See the list of all Minnesota State Parks, including basic permit information. We also have a list of all Minnesota Historical Society sites. We’re adding our commentary to the park and historical sites as we visit them.
Check out our recommendations for what to carry in your hiking day pack when you check out the extensive Minnesota State Park and National Park system.
Some of the links on this page are affiliate links, which means we may receive a small commission if purchases are made through those links. This adds no cost to our readers and helps us keep our site up and running. Our reputation is our most important asset, which is why we only provide completely honest and unbiased recommendations.